Snorkeling the “Japanese Shipwreck” 🤔

Is it, or not?  That is the question but, explain later, another fine adventure in the colorful clear coastal waters of Bali!  What a full day it has been but, somehow as I finally get back to my room and try to gather my thoughts and memories, it seems both incredibly active yet evenly paced and calm at the same time.  You might know whereof I speak with similar time warping experiences of your own - perhaps moving fast, slowly?

The day started with another fine breakfast buffet on the deck as described earlier, good conversation and some catching up on emails, news and what the rest of the world seems to be insisting we pay attention to - that’s getting harder to do as Bali Time seems to make it rather Ho Hum, what, me worry?  The American Ship of State seems to be floundering and heading to the bottom of the sea where the maybe Japanese ship wreck now rests, but perhaps I overstate the case?  In any event, we were picked up at our hotel by Wayan, our driver for the day and as it turns out, the husband of my favorite hostess Sunsripianini, at the Cafe Amed restaurant where we spend a good deal of time.  She, by the way, is the best English speaker and absolutely sweet, helpful and very attentive to our needs.
Here’s a link about the few common names used in Bali - quite different than anywhere in the world I’ve ever been:  http://www.whyzzexplorer.com/home/2016/3/9/qw77fw1fc4cdyup8cjascbifxzkio5

David and I left the hotel with our snorkeling gear around 9 am along a winding and typical narrow road, climbing up and down the curving coastline, evermore remote with even smaller hamlets where the Main Street was the only road that we were on and shared by chickens with hatchlings scurrying about, women sweeping with their traditional fiber whisk brooms, their behinds coming dangerously close to our car, and the usual motorbikes weaving in and out.  Always an adventure on the roads of Bali, very entertaining if not a bit white knuckle at times.

Maybe forty minutes later we arrived, paid our little 20,000 Rupiah entrance fee, about $1.20, and walked barefooted down a rather steep hill with very pebbly round black stones, to the beach.  The wreck was not far off shore, marked by a buoy and even without, just follow the snorkels and bubbles  of the many scuba divers.  The wreck was not deep and not that big and not a whole lot of it remains or exposed.  It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at and after much scrutiny as I dove up and down it began to make a little more sense - how the stern had twisted off to one side, the rudder so encrusted with sea life it was hardly discernible, the partially exposed ribs, the gunnels and scuppers from the upper deck sides, bit of the keel and bow all but missing.  Everywhere, darting in and out, were the brightly colored fish, the gently waving sea grasses added a soft mesmerizing effect to the disintegrating iron hull and barnacles covered it all.  Resting in peace after a most traumatic event, possibly wartime induced or accident, it is unknown what became of the humans that once plied the seas in her, their story lost in time like so many mariners who have ventured out on the great oceans of the world.

https://www.travel-tramp.com/amed-snorekelling-the-japanese-shipwreck-bali/


Moving on, we retraced our route and stopped at a small beach hotel with a few diving shacks in an area known for excellent snorkeling around beautiful varied coral formations, by far the best yet.  There were so many varieties of brilliant colored fish that just when you lost count, yet more diverse species showed up - truly wonderful.  I would suddenly find myself in the midst of different schools of fish, by the thousands, of all sizes and swimming amongst them it was like being in shape shifting clouds.  I can’t even begin to describe the incredible colors, the many combinations of striping, body types from long needle like to unusual shapes with strange fins and protuberances.  One unique rotund guy was an example, I’m sure, that gave Darwin the idea of evolution right near the point where fish transitioned to amphibians and walked on land - he and a few others of the early scientists were truly geniuses.  Iridescent blue star fish and tiny luminescent purplish blue fish, some the size of pencil lead, were in abundance, combinations of every color of the rainbow could be found on one fish alone and in so many other combinations it would defy classification!  At one point I saw this brilliant blue coil that looked like a sea snake resting on the bottom and dove down about fifteen feet to take a closer look.  As I got closer it then appeared to be the lips of maybe some unusual clam and they closed up, blue disappearing and it just blended into a brown looking rock.  As I floated up and away the “lips” opened again, indescribably blue - I now think it was some kind of an sea anemone.

I could go on describing so many wondrous scenes but moving on, the day not yet over, we arrived back at our hotel and was pleased to learn I was about to get a massage by a local native Balinese man recommended by our Italian friend Max and arranged by our drivers wife Sunsripiranini.  He was short, maybe 5’1”, of indeterminate age, maybe 60’s or 70’s 🤷‍♂️, wiry, missing many teeth with remaining ones rather snaggly but a very warm kind smile and turns out the hands were about as rough as 100 grit sandpaper - oh my, what did I get into?!   He put a thin pad on the floor where I laid face down, sat cross legged the whole time in different positions,  slathered me with coconut oil and worked in a way like no other I have ever experienced in my 40+ years of studying and doing bodywork.  He used his strong hands in fast, short strokes targeting tendons and ligaments, at times using bony parts of thumb and knuckles, following all the muscles in their set directions, almost to the point of rug burning intensity on my already mildly sunburned back.  He never stopped this rapid fire movement for two hours as I was forced to surrender deeper into letting go.  Sounds horrible, I know, but I also saw the wisdom of his technique and when finished I was relieved from the back pain I had had since my arrival after sitting on planes for 32 hours the week before!  His charge?  200,000 Rupiah, about $14.50!  I gave him an extra 50,000 Rupiah and he was genuinely very grateful as was I......

It was nearing sundown so I went down to the beach, swam about 1/2 mile out to an area where there was a noted coral outcropping, explored about, swam near a giant sea turtle and sprinted home as it got dark and joined my friends for a wonderful grilled barracuda dinner with sautéed mixed vegetables and an unusually delicious green mashed potato dish.

It’s time for bed but wrote this instead.

It’s now after midnight and finally off to dream world.......goodnight.
Cheers,
Gregory

PS - tomorrow on way home we are diving a huge cargo transport wreck, the USAT Liberty, from WWll, sunk by a Japanese submarine I think in 1942, then a stop at famous bat 🦇 cave at sunset when millions of the critters take to the night sky to feed.  Home by 9pm, ready for whatever shows up next......

Comments

  1. Your well observed and articulated journey continues. It's wonderful you are mostly traveling by water.
    Play on lad. Fun reading of your travels. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just posted here but not seeing it. I will try again and go to bed.
    Love your accounts. You're getting into a rythm. Also glad you are in the non impact zone for the sake of your body.
    Have fun. L&B

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.k., operator failure on my end. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Gregory! You make me feel that I'm right there with you. Wonderful description of a fabulous day. Write on, MacDuff!!! Luv.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in Ubud

Rice Terraces of Jatiluwih & “Da” Godfrey